Founded in 1929, the Institute of Physics (IOP) of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine is the oldest research institution of physical science within the Academy. Being on the path of both infrastructure development and research diversification the Institute has eventually originated five more specialized research institutions such as Institute of Semiconductor Physic (1960), Bogolubov Institute for Theoretical Physics (1966), Institute for Nuclear Research (1970) and Institute of Applied Optics (1994).
Currently, the IOP employs more than 300 researchers (including three Academicians and eight Corresponding Members of the NASU) and around 100 of supporting personnel. It has more than 20 scientific units which are grouped around four research programs: Condensed Matter, including Soft Matter Physics; Nanophysics and Nanoelectronics; Laser Physics, Nonlinear and Singular optics, Holography; Physics, of Surfaces, Emission and Plasma Electronics.
Traditionally the main efforts of Institute’s scientists are concentrated on the fundamental researches, but, at the same time, their activity directed on the applied developments in the field of cryogenic devices, laser systems, pyroelectric detectors, radiative technologies, and laser and plasma technologies is rather high. The IOP is consistently ranked at the top of national academic institutions ranking.